How do you start your day? Do you check your phone the first thing in the morning, quickly get ready for work and rush through the doors? Or do you do things slightly differently? Starting a day on a healthy note really makes a difference to your well-being and how you feel for the rest of the day. So, why not introduce some healthy morning habits?
While some people check their phones the first thing in the morning, in their beds, I never do that. Instead, I get up and make my way to the kitchen where I boil the kettle. This is the first thing I do in the morning.
While waiting for the kettle to boil I get a half a glass of cold water and squeeze some lemon. I then pour hot water into the glass, making water warm but not too hot. I then add about 1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and give it a good stir.
I can easily have this lemon drink on its own, without any natural sweeteners and sometimes I have it just like that. But when I need to boost my immune system I add some raw honey to it and powdered ginger.
Honey, ginger and lemon is quite a nice combination actually, and so good for you! I find ginger flavour quite strong so honey makes it a little bit milder and easier to consume.
Ginger has so many amazing health benefits, just to mention a few:
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects
- It has been shown to be effective against exercise-induced muscle pain
- Its anti-inflammatory effects can help with osteoarthritis
- It has been shown to lower blood sugar levels
- It can help treat chronic indigestion
- It helps to lower cholesterol levels
I add ginger (about 1/2 tsp) to my lemony drink most of my mornings just because of its health benefits but the main reason I started doing this was to treat my digestive issues. Since I’ve been taking it, my digestive problems have long been gone.
If you do plan to consume ground ginger every day, like me, then it’s worth buying it in bulk. I tend to buy it from Amazon or from online wholefoods shops.
I love raw honey from Baltic Shop, this honey is absolutely amazing, full of flavour and the smell is just wow! This is proper honey with rich flavour and so sweet. I’ve tried some other brands but this is by far the best.
This type of honey is really good for you as it hasn’t been heated so it still contains all the beneficial enzymes which have many health benefits. To learn more about raw honey and why it’s so good for you, read this article.
Another amazing ingredient in this homemade healthy drink is lemon juice which also has a long list of health benefits, just to mention a few:
- Lemon juice is an excellent source of the powerful antioxidant vitamin C which helps to fight free radicals known to cause cancer. Vitamin C is also essential for the healthy functioning of the immune system and important for healthy skin.
- Lemon water may help treat kidney stones as it contains high amounts of citrate which numerous human studies have found that it can successfully help treat kidney stones.
- Aids in digestion and detoxification
Don’t you think it’s really worth having this healthy drink with ginger every morning? So simple to make, no blender needed and so much goodness.